Thursday, July 2, 2015

Reading at The Griffiths Academy


Reading, Literature and Poetry are all part of our homeschooling too. But I didn't really have a set curriculum for them.

I have found a ton of great books at thrift stores, Half Price books and have even bought some online. So for reading I have assigned reading, were I pick a book for him to read. Usually a chapter book that I know he will enjoy reading. He has read The Hardy Boys, Star Wars, The Bridge to Terabitha (although he really did not like it so we switched to something else) and he has free reading where he gets to pick out his own book to read. These have been Diary of a Wimpy kid, Lego stories etc. Right now he is reading a Biography on Albert Einstein for assigned reading and The Strange Case of Origami Yoda for his free read.



For Literature we read together. We have read Peter Pan, Swiss Family Robertson, A Christmas Carol, Chronicles of Narnia, Shakespeare and more. We are currently reading Little Pilgrims Progress. We enjoy our reading time together. And I plan on doing this until he no longer wants me to or he graduates.

For poetry we read poetry together and talk about it briefly.

We have recently started using Easy Peasy all in one Homeschool for extra reading and are enjoying it. So far we are reading through poetry and answering questions about it. We are using level 5 Reading. I don't know if we will use it all year but we just might!

http://allinonehomeschool.com/     - Easy Peasy


No comments:

Post a Comment